HAL device-tree walker

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 11 13:46:32 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-11 at 09:55 -0700, Brad Peters wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm attempting to gain access to /proc/device-tree data on Power,

This is the Open Firmware device tree right? I've got one on my
Powerbook G4 too. Am I correct in stating that the tree never changes,
e.g. it's how the system looked when the BIOS/firmware/bootloader was
started, yes?

>  and am considering a couple options on how to do so.  We are already
> consuming HAL output, so the first option we're considering is
> mirroring device-tree data into sysFS, then do whatever is needed to
> get HAL to integrate this data.  Second, is directly adding the
> ability to walk device-tree to HAL.  Third is simply walking
> device-tree and leave HAL out of the process entirely.
>
> I'd certainly appreciate your feedback, both from the perspective of
> what is good for HAL, and separately, what you believe is the best
> approach.  Thanks!

I'm not sure it would things easier to access this via HAL, the only win
that I can think of is that you can use the device objects you created
for matching via .fdi files for other stuff. Then, again,  if you need
this, I wouldn't be opposed to having code in the HAL tree that walks
the tree and creates device objects; it shouldn't be hard to write
either.

Cheers,
David