Hal-0.5.8.1:bug or eject problem?

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Sep 21 22:22:50 PDT 2006

On Thu, 2006-09-21 at 14:45 -0700, arandamandi wrote:
> Hi,i try to explain my problem
> I have hal-0.5.8.1,i use it for automount in kde
> when kde automount a cd,i see in hal-mtab
>
> /dev/hdc        1000    0       udf     noexec,nosuid,nodev,uid=1000,sync
> /media/Divx 144
>
> the problem is..if use the eject command,this return me
>
> Error: could not determine real path of the device: No such file or
> directory
> eject: unmount of `/media/Divx\040144' failed

Right. Looks like KDE is calling eject(8) directly.

Tell me, does

 $ dbus-send --system --print-reply \
             --dest=org.freedesktop.Hal \
             /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/XXX \
             org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume.Eject \
             array:string:

as an unprivileged (e.g. not root) user work?

Replace /org/freedesktop/Hal/devices/XXX with the appropriate UDI for
the device of capability 'volume' that represents the disc. You can
lshal(1) or

 $ hal-find-by-capability --capability volume.disc

to find the UDI.

    David