Detecting exploding batteries, part 2

Bastien Nocera hadess at hadess.net
Mon Sep 25 03:18:27 PDT 2006

On Mon, 2006-09-25 at 11:02 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> On 25/09/06, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:
> > On Monday 25 September 2006 09:19, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > > 1. Vendors (Redhat/Suse) can send out updates to a HAL package in a
> > > matter of days.
> >
> > 1.) take a look at the release cycle of HAL
> > 2.) take a look at the release cycle of the distributions (6 months - 1 year
> > or more for business products)
> > 3.) take a look at the rules for updates of the distributions. For SUSE e.g.
> > we only offer official updates for (security) bugs and not for such stuff. No
> > distribution send out a update for such stuff.
>
> Well, that's SuSe policy. I can tell you for 100% certainty that
> *every* affected user will not have realised before the 6 months
> next-release of HAL (and that's if the distro can't roll a trivial
> update).

I agree with Danny on some points. I think whether the batteries need a
recall, and this sort of thing shouldn't be in HAL.

But I would certainly agree that putting the serial number of the
batteries in HAL, and the "policy" code (what to do with the battery
serial) in g-p-m is a good idea.

--
Bastien Nocera <hadess at hadess.net>
The sex scenes are just a job, but I enjoyed them.   -- Anthony Hopkins