volume.ignore vs mount privilege

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Sep 25 09:16:16 PDT 2006

On Sun, 2006-09-24 at 13:52 -0700, Artem Kachitchkine wrote:
> The background for this question is that I'd like an easy way to disable all
> HAL-based automounters on the system without disabling each individually - but
> still preserve the ability to mount through HAL manually.

Right. I'm happy to remove this restriction of HAL's Mount() obeying
volume.ignore once PolicyKit 0.3 is out (am working on it atm). Does
that sound good?

Historically, adding volume.ignore was also (in addition to hiding
firmware partitions etc.) a stop-gap solution to prevent console users
in Fedora to mount partitions from fixed disks because some people
thought that was given console users too much power. Personally, I don't
subscribe to that goal.

    David