Storage probing problem

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Sep 27 08:28:01 PDT 2006

On Wed, 2006-09-27 at 13:23 +0300, S.Çağlar Onur wrote:
> Hi;
>
> For some of our users partitions are not probed by hal, so KDE can't find
> these and mount/unmount etc. are not working properly with hal-0.5.8.1 on
> Pardus. A sample bug report info reported to us is followed.
>
> I can't find why these partitions are seems parentless and ignored. Any idea
> or suggestion?

It seems that hald-probe-storage is crashing:

> 12:58:26.010 [I] blockdev.c:352: entering; exit_type=2, return_code=0

We should probably fix this in 'master' to both log this to syslog and
print a less cryptic error.

As such no device object for the drive is added and thus we ignore the
partitions. Any chance you can get a back trace and/or patch? You can
probably use

 ./debug-hald.sh

from the hald/ directory to get this, not sure how well it works since
the helper is spawned (if it doesn't work it would be good to fix anyway
so we can use gdb on helpers). Another way to fix this is of course to
sprinkle the source with debug statements.

Thanks for looking into this. I'll probably do a 0.5.8.2 soon to get
this fixed along with other fixes such as

 http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=commit;h=c127f54ee1a91743989ccdbe93025740fe9cec73

    David