Building without PolicyKit

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Sat Apr 7 09:43:01 PDT 2007

On Sat, 2007-04-07 at 15:28 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Building Fedora packages with git snapshot:
>
> configure: error: ACL management support requires building with
> PolicyKit support
>
> Does this mean developers are not supposed to be using ACL support, or
> should we be building PolicyKit again?

The latter. PolicyKit now works very well; I can now lock down HAL
completely and there are 28 knobs (e.g. privileges) that users/admins
can tweak:

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=privileges/hal-device-file.priv
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=privileges/hal-killswitch.priv
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=privileges/hal-power.priv
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob;hb=HEAD;f=privileges/hal-storage.priv

It's really cool - changes to those files are picked up in real-time;
e.g. if I change the AllowLocalInactive key of hal-device-file-cdrom
then I can see the ACL on /dev/scd0 change for inactive users. Very
cool.

Anyway, I'm right now working on writing some kind of spec document for
PolicyKit (akin to the HAL and ConsoleKit specs) so it's easier to
understand how this works and why we this work is being done. Give me a
few days....

> Or should we just let git churn for a little bit without making
> comments :-)

It's going to churn a bit, but I consider the HAL bits of the PolicyKit
integration pretty much done; PolicyKit-wise, it's probably going to
churn a bit but not too much on the interface side...

    David