ChangeLog stuff (Was Re: hal: Branch 'master')

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Apr 9 09:48:04 PDT 2007

(Meant to send this to the whole list)

On 4/9/07, Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de> wrote:

> I see also the problem with the size of the log. May we can limit the
> changelog to changes since the last release or from the last 6 or 12 months.
> More is IMO not really needed. I take a look at this.
>
> Btw. do you generate the NEWS file manually or is there any other way?

You can use git-describe to find the most recent tag. That would allow
the ChangeLog to be generated between the previous two tags. Getting
this two work in a Makefile could be tricky, but here's the gist of it
(git-1.5.0.5):

$ git describe --abbrev=0
HAL_0_5_9
$ CURR_TAG=`git describe --abbrev=0`
$ PREV_TAG=`git describe --abbrev=0 $CURR_TAG^`
$ echo $CURR_TAG $PREV_TAG
HAL_0_5_9 HAL_0_5_8
$ git log --pretty=short $PREV_TAG..$CURR_TAG
commit 711ef20af382f643fc35e9ce422f7200d8d1f31b
Author: David Zeuthen <davidz at redhat.com>

   update NEWS for 0.5.9 release

Dan