gnome-mount woes

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Apr 11 09:07:06 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-04-11 at 10:55 -0400, Doug Goldstein wrote:
> Not to hijack your thread or anything Richard. But some of the mounting
> stuff irks me as well. I've noticed gnome-mount will mount it with group
> read/write and other read. Doesn't seem like very secure permissions at
> all. I thought the whole thing behind ConsoleKit was that we could
> identify who was the user that plugged in the device and only allow them
> to mount it. That's great but if I automount my USB drive and then allow
> anyone else to access it. That defeats the whole purpose. gnome-mount by
> default should only mount it with user permissions, not even group or other.

All this depends on the file system and it's just not possible to change
for vfat; see how mount(8) itself works.

Anyway, one thing I want is HAL's Mount() to accept an option, say,
"hal_put_in_per_user_private_dir", that will mount into /media/$USER
(with /media/$USER being of mode 0700). Then gnome-mount should probably
default to passing that option for all volumes it mounts. Patches
welcome for that.

     David