Extra keyboard buttons

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Thu Apr 19 15:27:09 PDT 2007

With reference to my recent blog post:
http://hughsient.livejournal.com/23351.html

I've been doing some research on how some random vendor buttons are
currently mapped into keycodes. Distros like ubuntu provide the
hotkey-setup [1] package that match dmi information and then assign keys
based on the vendor and type. Fedora don't ship this package.

Maybe this is an idea for hal-info - we are perfectly in scope as we can
match DMI data trivially and then launch a very small script that just
runs commands like:

setkeycodes e018 188

hal-info can then be trivially updated as new keys are found for new
laptops.

So, good idea / bad idea?

Richard.

[1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/hotkey-setup/0.1-17ubuntu9