[patch] spec: Update alsa namespace to include virtual device

Marcel Holtmann marcel at holtmann.org
Mon Aug 27 08:24:55 PDT 2007

Hi Lennart,

> > > A stable plugin API is not going to happen anytime soon, sorry. Also,
> > > it is not really practical to develop plugins out-of-tree. I
> > > acknowledge the demand for it, but the plugin API is just too quickly
> > > moving.
> > >
> > > Hmm, I'd love to add proper BT support to PA myself, but unfortunately
> > > I lack the hardware for it. It would be much easier to keep it up to
> > > date for me then.
> >
> > We are in a chicken-egg situation here. To write a plugin you need to
> > use our SBC encoder and our IPC. Both of them are internal only.
>
> Hmm, is it going to stay "internal"? Or are you going to stabilize the
> API for it eventually? How volatile is that API?

that is fully 100% unstable right now. The IPC is totally unclear how it
has to look like in the end. It only works right now.

We might get the SBC encoder in a why it could be released as its own
library, but I prefer not doing it right now. It would actually slow
down the development process.

Regards

Marcel