Patch for old CD-RW and DVD drives

David Castelow david_castelow at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 29 13:16:50 PDT 2007

Danny,

An additional point to note:
Nautilus-cd-burner used to contain code to provide this info when HAL failed.  That's where I got the code from.  This was last present in N-C-D 2.14.3 (last date in the sources is 31/07/06): the next version was (as reported in http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/sources/nautilus-cd-burner/) 2.15 from 22/08/06.  Debian Stable uses NCD 2.14.3.
Debian Testing uses 2.18.2, from 29/05/07, so you have not actually had very long to discover that there are quite a number of folks out there with old CD drives that used to work and that will no longer do so.

I chose to add the functionality to HAL rather than to put it back into N-C-D because it seemed a cleaner and more general place to put it.

I believe another drive with the problem is the TEAC CD-W516EB.

I have also checked Fedora: there is an issue of Fedora Core 5 in October last year that was still using N-C-D 2.14.3.

Centos 4 (RHEL4?) has a very old version of N-C-D, while Centos 5 might have problems as it uses 2.16 (available from Sept 2006 at the earliest).

Regards

David