Power-management issues

Phil Dibowitz phil at ipom.com
Sun Dec 23 23:11:37 PST 2007

Sorry to respond to myself, but I managed to get s2ram working - though I'm
not thrilled with my work around.

On a hunch, I did a bios upgrade to see if (a) it might fix it or (b) if it
would give me more PM options in the bios. The bios upgrade itself did
nothing, but in playing around in the bios, I tried changing pretty much every
setting, and set a "primary" password (labelled as "user password" in most
bioses). And THAT lets s2ram work (even from within X)!.

I tried switching this back and forth several times, to make sure. If I have
password, when I come back from suspend, I get prompted by the bios, and then
resume happens normally. If I turn that password back off, then resume fails
to work. So currently, I have it on, and s2ram works 100% reliably (I tried it
5 times each way).

So, given that, I figured that seemed a lot like re-POST'ing the card, so I
thoguht maybe its a combination of the new bios *and* re-POST'ing. So I unset
the password and did 's2ram -f -p', but that didn't work either. So at this
point, I just left the password on and s2ram works for me. Any ideas?

In addition, I then tested s2disk (since s2both is what I ideally want
working), and it still doesn't work. HOWEVER, I noticed that each time I run
s2disk, my swap partition is corrupted (I boot up the next time with no swap,
and 'swapon /dev/hda' says 'invalid argument' and I have to re-mkswap in order
to swapon that partition. Any ideas here?

So... I got s2ram working with an odd work-around, but still no s2disk. Any
help on either of these would be greatly appreciated.

Phil Dibowitz                             phil at ipom.com
Open Source software and tech docs        Insanity Palace of Metallica

"Never write it in C if you can do it in 'awk';
 Never do it in 'awk' if 'sed' can handle it;
 Never use 'sed' when 'tr' can do the job;
 Never invoke 'tr' when 'cat' is sufficient;
 Avoid using 'cat' whenever possible" -- Taylor's Laws of Programming