Halevt: HAL events manager/handler/...

Patrice Dumas pertusus at free.fr
Wed Feb 14 13:50:54 PST 2007

Hello,

I have released a package named Halevt for HAL events manager/handler/..,
it may be of interest for some people on this list to know about it.
It is at:
http://www.environnement.ens.fr/perso/dumas/halevt.html

The design is heavily based on ivman, though it is a complete rewrite.
The main diference is that there is nothing specific for mounting
device in the halevt daemon itself.

As I wasn't satisfied with gnome-mount (it brings in gnome stuff) or
pmount (it doesn't use HAL for mounting) I did my own wrapper around
HAL Mount and Unmount procedures, called halevt-mount. It may be used
to mount devices, and keep track of the handled devices, such that it
is easy to unmount devices even if there is no icon associated.

The overall idea behind this kind of stuff is to have interfaces with
HAL that are not dependent on a desktop, that are flexible enough, can
be configured with vi and used through command line applications
while attaining similar usability than desktop apps.

--
Pat