USB Vendor and Product IDs Update Question

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jan 1 13:30:05 PST 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-01 at 14:06 -0700, Greg Morgan wrote:
> If I have some new USB Vendor and Product IDs, does sending patches to
> the maintainer of http://www.linux-usb.org/usb.ids broadcast these
> updates to all interested parties?  Or does hal have its very own list
> too? I could not find a definitive answer in the
> http://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software_2fHalFAQ .  I found this in the
> archives but no answer was provided
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2005-February/002115.html .  I
> also found this interesting thread but it almost sounds like I should
> send the ids to the distros
> http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/hal/2005-February/002110.html .
> And so is looks like there is a need for a database of some sort.  Has
> there been any work on this kind-of feature?

I think HAL just mmaps the distro pci.ids and usb.ids
(/usr/share/hwdata/ for FC6), and just keeps a copy of the pnpid's coded
internally. Take a look at hald/ids.c if you want to look at some code.

I think your best bet is to send these to Vojtech Pavlik and then the
distros should pick this up when they update.

Hope this helps,

Richard.