Compiling HAL 0.5.8 and BLKGETSIZE problems

Eugéne Suter easuter at gmail.com
Fri Jan 5 03:09:20 PST 2007

Hi there,

I'm trying to compile HAL 0.5.8.1 for VectorLinux 5.8 Standard (a Slackware
11 derivative).
I have got all the dependencies out of the way I think, DBUS, UDEV and
PolicyKit are there.

Idownloaded the tarball from HAL's freedesktop page, unpacked it, and ran
the ./configure with these flags:

$ ./configure --prefix=/usr \
--sysconfdir=/etc \
--libexecdir=/usr/lib/hal \
--localstatedir=/var \
--without-macbookpro

It goes fine for a while, but then stops with this error:

checking for BLKGETSIZE64... no
configure: error: BLKGETSIZE64 is not defined

I have searched the web fr similar problems, and some users seem to have
solved this problem by using linux-libc-headers.
I have kernel 2.6.18.4 installed, and the only linux-libc-headers source I
can find goes up to version 2.6.12 if I'm not mistaken, so I guess I can't
use linux-libc-headers and will have to use the kernel ones.

Others also solved the problem by expanding their tmpfs usage limit.
I have no idea how it is done, but running df at the command-promt gives
this output:

/dev/hda3              5116536   3111324   2005212  61% /
tmpfs                   131072         4    131068   1% /tmp
tmpfs                   127340         0    127340   0% /dev/shm

Is there any patch for HAL, or any other workaround for this problem?

Any help is much appreciated :)

Eugéne