New to HAL and confused.

Alan Chandler alan at chandlerfamily.org.uk
Fri Jan 5 12:00:04 PST 2007

On Friday 05 January 2007 00:33, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> I have no idea about the docs, but I would suggest instead using
> libgphoto2. It contains a utility to generate a HAL fdi file
> enumerating all the cameras it knows about.

Thank you, that was really useful to know (although my camera isn't in
there because its a mass storage device).

HOWEVER - it didn't answer my basic question.

Also now that I have delved a little deeper (I am specifically trying to
work out what the kde media ioslave is trying to do) my puzzlement is
now more specific.

The HAL specification at

http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal.git;a=blob_plain;f=doc/spec/hal-spec.html

has sections which specifically list out the name spaces.

However, not all references keys are actually in the table.  For
instance - in several places in the text of the document there is a
reference to block.storage_device key - but under the table which lists
the allowable keys in the block namespace THAT key doesn't exist.

Alsothe  info.bus key has a list of values it is allowed to be, but
usb_device isn't one of them. Yet the introduction to the usb_device
namespace the paragraph specifically says that info.bus could take the
value usb_device.

Does that mean the  there is another document with more keys in or that
the document on the web site is not up to date or what???

--
Alan Chandler
http://www.chandlerfamily.org.uk