better ALSA card name

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Tue Jan 9 05:38:46 PST 2007

Le mardi 9 janvier 2007 12:37, Matthias Kretz a écrit :
> [...]
> The alsa.name property is the name I would like to show the user to select
> the audio device. Please review the string code (I'm used to C++ string
> classes...) and let me know whether the new property is ok, or where to put
> the name instead.

I wonder if it's necessary to introduce another property. I'd say that the
name extracted looks like an info.product property and could probably be
used. That said it would mean the device would be named for instance "Alesis
io|2" instead of "USB Audio ALSA Playback Device" which means we loose
the "Playback Device" information... In this case maybe completing the names
to get something like "Alesis io|2 Playback Device" could be a good idea?

As for the patch there's an indentation issue in classdev.c line 670, you used
spaces instead of tabs. I noticed nothing obviously wrong in the string
handling, but I'll let David has the final say on that topic.

Regards.
Ne font reculer l'ignorance."