Announcing ConsoleKit

Fabian Steiner lists at fabis-site.net
Tue Jan 16 08:46:15 PST 2007

Hello!

William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am pleased to announce the first public release of ConsoleKit.
>
> ConsoleKit is a framework for defining and tracking users, login
> sessions, and seats.  The primary motivations for this framework are
> to facilitate fast-user-switching and multi-seat capabilities, and to
> enable more sophisticated policy decisions for desktop sessions.
> [...]
I am taking care of about 15 multiseat desktop computers (every computer
has four screens, keyboards, mice) in our school at the moment and so
far everything works quite well except the fact that we lack a
possibility to assign proper device permissions to removeable devices
(such as USB sticks, cameras, etc.). Up to now this often results in a
race condition: The first user who mounts the device is the owner of it
although it doesn't belong to them at all.

Therefore we are really content about hearing your work on ConsoleKit
progressing. Unfortunately, we still have some questions left about how
it is expected to work in future:

On multiseat systems multiple users can be active at the same time.
Where and how do you configure that the
devices that are plugged into a particular keyboard hub belong to the
user who is active at :0/:1/:2/:3? Are there any proposals yet?

Cheers,
Fabian

P.s. This [1] old discussion might also be of interest in that case.

[1] http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.comp.freedesktop.hal/6124/focus=6124