HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Michael Hanselmann linux-kernel at hansmi.ch
Tue Jan 16 04:06:50 PST 2007

Hello

I'm the author of inputd[1]. Is is a user-space daemon to emulate key
presses through other key combinations and intends to replace the right
click emulation on Apple's portable machines currently available in the
Linux kernel (mac_hid.c). inputd does this by grabbing the input device
and creating a new, equal input device using uinput.

Now Johannes Berg <johannes at sipsolutions.net> reported HAL doesn't work
with it:
> As far as I know, you still haven't worked with the hal guys to figure
> out how to make inputd/hal work together, and if inputd is running hal
> stops processing key presses completely. Since hal is part of most
> distro desktops these days it is IMO essential to get coexistence
> figured out up front.

Because sooner or later mac-hid will get dropped from the kernel, and
therefore forcing users to use an userspace deamon like inputd (there
seems to be at least one other, but its development deceased sometime
last year), HAL needs to make sure it works correctly with grabbed
devices and such ones created by uinput. We added a BUS_VIRTUAL constant
in Linux 2.6.19, maybe it's of use here.

I'm no HAL user myself and see no obligation for me to fix it. If you
need any help from me, please let me know.

Thanks,
Michael

[1] http://hansmi.ch/software/inputd

--