HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Michael Hanselmann linux-kernel at hansmi.ch
Tue Jan 16 10:22:57 PST 2007

On Tue, Jan 16, 2007 at 06:15:40PM +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Why move stuff like this out of the kernel?

Take a look in drivers/macintosh/mac_hid.c yourself. The code works, but
is ugly. You can't do stuff like Mac OS X' Ctrl+Click for right click
with it.

Kernel code shouldn't do such things at all. This is why I was told to
write a userspace daemon after I submitted a kernel patch to do
Key+Click for right click last May.

> Why not just send the key presses as input events, which as I understand
> it, is exactly what the ACPI layer in the kernel is converting to.

For hardware things, I agree. I wouldn't like Fn+Fx to be moved out of
the kernel, because it's hardware dependent.

> In my opinion, the kernel shouldn't do random things that need
> abstracting by HAL, the kernel should do one sane thing, which is use
> the input layer for multimedia buttons just like any other buttons.

I don't see Ctrl+Click as a "multimedia function". It's just a userspace
thing, especially since it combines events from several different
devices, which isn't easy to do in kernel code.

> What's the use case for using inputd?

Flexibility. User friendlyness. Usability. Not necessarily in that
order.

Greets,
Michael

--