HAL doesn't work with grabbed or uinput created devices

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Wed Jan 17 01:47:24 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-01-16 at 18:43 +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:

> Btw. Can you tell more about the sysfs structure for the related uinput
> devices and also about the problem you have with HAL?

I'll elaborate a tiny bit on this: When you create uinput devices then
hal goes to ignore them because they have no device symlink in sysfs.
Now today they ought to be BUS_VIRTUAL and hal should be modified to
handle BUS_VIRTUAL input devices without a device symlink. That's all
I'm asking really, it should be about a one-line patch to make hal bind
BUS_VIRTUAL event devices that don't have device symlinks.

> Is there a special
> reason why HAL should grab these devices (If I see this correc HAL currently
> only handle some special keyevents as e.g. ACPI suspend/hibnernate) and what
> HAL should do with them?

On my powerbook, if I want to use inputd to get e.g. FN+Button1 for
right-click then inputd will bind all my input devices exclusively which
will stop hal from getting events on them, which stops my multimedia
keys from working.

johannes