Patch to remove smbios.* keys

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Jan 31 15:05:23 PST 2007

On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 21:41 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Patch attached just moves the smbios.* keys to system.* and documents
> them.

So I'm not sure it's a good idea to remove smbios.* properties; they are
well defined properties and might be useful for applications dealing
specifically with systems using SMBIOS.

As I said in my other mail; create an abstract system.firmware.*
namespace, that will work for any machine and just copy some of the
appropriate smbios.* properties into that one.

> Is there actually using the smbios.* keys apart from HAL internally and
> hal-info? Do we need to provide backwards compat code?

I'm not sure why you are adamant about removing smbios.* - they _are_
useful for things like hardware profilers that are not ported over to
use abstractions like system.firmware.* yet and 3rd party fdi files etc.
perhaps already depend on them. More importantly, the cost of keeping
smbios.* properties around is so low that I doubt we'll win anything by
removing them in a year.

Would that work?

      David