HAL and INPUT

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Sun Jul 8 10:09:48 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 03, 2007 at 02:01:54PM +0100, ext Richard Hughes wrote:
> What are we doing with HAL and INPUT? Currently HAL exposes buttons such
> as LID with state and other buttons such as POWER without state.
>
> With the new INPUT world-order, we will have several event devices that
> can emit devices of different types.

Hi,
Forgive the stupid question, but by 'INPUT', I assume you mean input via
evdev (i.e. /dev/input/event*), right?

> So I think, ideally we need to do:
>
> * hardware remaping of keys using the keymap addon
> * for each input device:
>  - create a new individual hal device for any 'interesting' buttons and
> launch an addon monitoring the event file.
>  - and buttons that have state then merge in the extra properties

Sounds sensible to me, assuming that this is just things like
lid/sleep/whatever.  Most multimedia keys (e.g. play/pause, mute, those
infurating 'your very own key' custom keys, whatever) should probably
get punted through to X, I believe.

> Or we can rip out all the input parts from HAL (but keep keymap) and
> just reply on querying XOrg for buttons and state.

X is bad for querying state, really.

Cheers,
Daniel