Defining seats

William Jon McCann mccann at jhu.edu
Tue Jul 10 10:36:12 PDT 2007

Hi,

I'm getting to the point in the GDM rewrite [1] where need to query
something for what seats are available on the system.  In the old gdm
this was all hardwired in a config file.  I don't think this is what
we want.

David and I talked about this a while back and thought that perhaps
gdm should just query
HAL for this info and then create seat objects in ConsoleKit.  This
was before the PolicyKit redesign.  What do we think?

We need to be a little careful that we don't interfere with all the
nice Xorg display hot plugging work.  So, how can we cleanly determine
if a display should be part of a new seat or be attached to (or a
clone of) an existing one?

Thanks,
Jon

[1] http://svn.gnome.org/viewcvs/gdm2/branches/mccann-gobject/