Defining seats

Daniel Stone daniel.stone at nokia.com
Tue Jul 10 13:25:31 PDT 2007

On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 04:21:27PM -0400, ext William Jon McCann wrote:
> On 7/10/07, Daniel Stone <daniel.stone at nokia.com> wrote:
> >On Tue, Jul 10, 2007 at 02:29:18PM -0400, ext Matthias Clasen wrote:
> >> Seats do in any case require separate X servers, right ? So if a monitor
> >is
> >> hotplugged into an existing X server, it automatically belongs to an
> >existing
> >> seat. Or do I miss something ?
> >
> >Yep, correct you are.  And since there's no real sensible way to share a
> >GPU between X servers (although this becomes more feasible with
> >kernel-based modesetting and AIGLX, but still), this basically means one
> >video card per seat, which makes life easier.
>
> OK, that's a better way to think of it.  So for the display part of
> the seat we can just query HAL for video cards.  What are your
> thoughts about correlating these with input devices?  I understand
> you've been doing some work in that area.

Hi,
In short, I have none. :)  There's no way of doing this without user
guidance.  You can look at the multiseat package from Ubuntu: what I did
there was to have the installer say 'wiggle the mouse for seat one',
'bash on the keyboard for seat two', etc.

At the moment, the X server just opens every device HAL offers it.  But
this is pretty open to arbitrary filtering, so we could have a
seat_number parameter, and could match that against a HAL property?

Cheers,
Daniel