suspend on Dell Latitude D-610 with ATI display

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Wed Jul 18 11:47:37 PDT 2007

On Wed, 2007-07-18 at 01:03 +0200, Mads Kiilerich wrote:
> Hi list (I'm not on the list - please CC me)
>
> I'm running Fedora 7 with hal-info-20070516-2, which (on this issue)
> seems to be essentially the same as in git.
>
> I have a problem that after booting suspend works the first time, but
> second time the system doesn't come alive again.
>
> Adding power_management.quirk.vbemode_restore to the entry in
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/20-video-quirk-pm-dell.fdi
> makes it work for me.

Cool.

> EXCEPT that when I'm using an external screen and has the same output on
> external and internal screen, then only the external screen comes back
> up on resume. The internal screen is "light black". Have you seen
> similar behavior and can you suggest a solution?

It could be the BIOS is detecting which display is connected at "boot" time - have you got the video mode selection to "auto" or "both" in the bios?

> Anyway; it seems to work good enough for me - and a lot better than before.

Cool.

> BUT I have a D-610 with ATI M22 [Mobility Radeon X300]. I have heard
> that other D-610s have Intel display. And
> http://people.freedesktop.org/~hughsient/quirk/quirk-suspend-explain.html
> says that owners of such machines may get problems if vbemode_restore is
> added.

Yes, Dell suck for releasing two identical laptops with the same model numbers with different video hardware.

> The current entry has perhaps been tested on such a machine where
> it might be sufficient. Do you know who can confirm this? How do you
> usually handle such cases? Is it possible to write a entry that only
> sets vbemode_restore for some systems?

In HAL from GIT we have system.hardware.primary_video.vendor - this can let you special case this. Thanks for helping us find a quirk.

Richard.