Fix battery level on HP DV1000

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Fri Jul 20 13:00:47 PDT 2007

On Freitag, 20. Juli 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> Sitting next to Rémi at GUADEC he showed me the output of the battery in
> proc. The battery (or bios) does not export the current charge at all,
> and the only usable metric to use is the voltage. I'm aware the voltage
> will be non-linear and *heavily* offset, but is better than _no_ metric
> in my opinion. The percentage will be heavily biased and the battery
> might only last until 30-40%.
>
> This is the same behavior to what windows XP does so I believe it must
> "repair" the data in the same way.

This sounds really strange. I have never seen a machine where you can conclude
from the voltage to the battery charge state. AFAIK all machines only show
the current voltage which is never in percentage of the design voltage. The
most machines have a current voltage which is higher than the design voltage
or the voltage is always at (nearly) the same level.

This all sounds like:
1) a brocken BIOS (may try a update [1])
2) is this may a smart battery?

I would propose: may try the (new) omnibook driver for this machine (and may
try to add this machine to the driver, but the driver should support several
Pavilion machines).

The only site about a DV1000 (series) machine I could find was [2] and this
machine has the same problem, but a remaining capacity. You could calculate
the percentage based on this values (what say battery/*/info and
battery/*/state).

Danny

[1] http://tinyurl.com/34zts8
[2] http://gentoo-wiki.com/HP_Pavilion_dv1067