USB mouse and keyboard not working after thaw but they, work after resume

Tim Richardson tim at tim-richardson.net
Tue Jul 31 11:01:44 PDT 2007

> Message: 3
> Date: Sun, 29 Jul 2007 23:26:36 +0200
> From: Danny Kukawka <danny.kukawka at web.de>
> Subject: Re: USB mouse and keyboard not working after thaw but they
> 	work after	resume
> To: hal at lists.freedesktop.org
>
> On Sonntag, 29. Juli 2007, tim richardson wrote:
>
>> debian testing running HAL package version 0.5.9.1
>> suspend/resume works well
>> hibernate / thaw almost works: the screen and network resume, but my usb
>> keyboard and mouse don't work. My optical mouse loses power after the
>> disk image is read back.
>> I can ssh in to the machine. modprobe shows that the usb modules are all
>> loaded. restarting hald makes no difference. I don't see any error
>> messages in the log files.
>>
>> It's a desktop pc.
>>
>> I've run out of ideas to solve this myself.
>>

> What kind of machine is this? Sounds like a kernel problem.
>
> Danny

It's a desktop with an asrock dual sata motherboard and and AMD X2 cpu.
It's a DIY machine, not a name brand.

For what it's worth, hibernation on the Ubuntu distribution 'Feisty
Fawn" worked. I have tried three Debian kernels, one older than the
Ubuntu Kernel, and two more recent.

I notice that in fact the keyboard does not work as soon as the "thaw"
begins. I can not enter BIOS setup, and I can not select entries from
the Grub menu. Of course, I get different behaviour from a reboot.
I conclude that something is not being handled properly as the machine
goes into hibernation. The keyboard already does not work for bios or
for grub: the thaw features have not even executed at this stage so I
guess (logically) the something about the USB hardware is not being
prepared properly at power-off.   Important question:  is this mailing
list the correct forum? If I need to file a kernel bug report, could
someone volunteer to be a "mentor" (not via the mailing list) because I
imagine there are people reading this who have filed such bug reports in
a very effective manner.