LED devices

Johannes Berg johannes at sipsolutions.net
Fri Jun 1 12:17:22 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 18:40 +0200, Kay Sievers wrote:

> Yes, a sysfs mechanism will probably work fine for the led stuff.

We have one now, my gripe with it is that we have no way of having the
same name trigger for different devices. As I described, for wireless,
I'd really like to have LED triggers "rx"/"tx", and the current trigger
framework forces me to name them phyNrx, with the complication that the
"phyN" name of the wireless PHY can be changed by userspace via nl80211,
but the LEDs won't follow the rename.

What IMHO the ideal framework would be is having triggers as a struct
device as well so they can be associated to a parent (or like the ide
trigger they just don't have a parent, but you could have per-device ide
triggers too then), and then you symlink them into the LED node to do
that. That said, sysfs doesn't support the symlink operation so we have
to do with files...

> The bind/unbind files expect the bus-id's of the device, the driver
> should bind/unbind.

... like bind/unbind.

johannes