[patch] add keymap data to make random laptop vendor keys work

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Mon Jun 4 03:08:08 PDT 2007

On Fri, 2007-06-01 at 16:13 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-05-30 at 13:50 +0100, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > The consensus seems to be that putting this in HAL is too high up in the
> > stack, and that using a udev rules is best.
>
> Is that the consensus? I must have missed the memo. Then again, we've
> already all wasted too much time discussing something as simple as this;
> so if you really

Well, the kernel guys keep changing their mind (dmi matching is to be
done in userspace only), which made it difficult to make a firm
decision. I'm fairly sure Bastien also now wants this in HAL, so maybe
we are now swinging in the other direction.

> - yet another upstream project; with
>  - yet another tarball; and
>  - yet another RPM / Deb package for each OS distribution; and
>  - yet another place to track bugs upstream and downstream; and
>  - yet another place for folks to submit quirks

The suspend quirk site and quirk submission is going _very_ well, even
by my own admission, it would be a shame not to leverage this.

My own view is again to put this in HAL, as it look like unknown
kernelspace key events are being emitted as KEY_UNKNOWN with a scancode
set to the acpi event. This means the keys mean nothing to
gnome-keybindings program and means we have to set up the scan->keycodes
in another place as well as a userspace keymap.

David, if you want I can commit the latest patch and also write up a
quirk-keys mini-site like I've done with the quick-sleep pages.

I've attached the latest patches again for review and suggestions.

Richard.