hald and machine check exception errors

Alex Moore light_speed10 at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 17 01:01:43 PDT 2007

Whenever I try to start hald, my system displays some "Machine Check
Exception" errors on the console and then locks up, requiring a power cycle.

I don't know if this is problem is actually caused by hald, or just
something that only shows up when hald runs. However, the system appears to
function just fine so long as hald is not started.

If anyone can provide any insight into why this might be happening, or what
the next steps should be to investigate it further, it would be much
appreciated. There don't seem to be any related entries in any of the system
log files.

Here is some info on the system configuration (if I have omitted something
that would be useful, just let me know!):

Hardware
-----------
CPU: Intel QX6700 (2.66 GHz Core 2 Quad Extreme)
Motherboard: Abit IN9 32X-MAX (nForce 680 SLI chipset)

Software
OS: Gentoo Linux 2007.0, (have tried with both 2.6.19 and 2.6.20 kernels)
Arch: amd64 (multilib)
hal: versions 0.5.7.1 and 0.5.9 both result in the same error
udev: 104

Thanks,
Alex