working with pciutils-2.2.4

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 13:28:11 PDT 2007

On 6/18/07, Mike Frysinger <vapier at gentoo.org> wrote:
> On Monday 18 June 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> >
> > Right, TBH I don't really see any point in using a gzipped pci.ids file
> > at all; it's a trade-off where you trade disk space for dirty memory
> > usage and as such it doesn't make sense on neither embedded nor desktop
> > systems since you're much more interested in keeping memory use down on
> > both such systems vs. saving around 300-400k of disk space...
>
> perhaps, but that's the direction pciutils has gone ... so something like "if
> pci.ids.gz exists, then decompress it into a cache file and mmap that" would
> be the direction for hal to go ?

I think the issue more is that that's what pciutils does out of the
box. In Linuxfromscratch, we haven't updated to pciutils-2.2.4
specifically for this issue. If you install pciutils-2.2.4 without any
previous pci.ids on your machine, all you'll ever have is pci.ids.gz
and hald won't be happy. And if you do have an old pci.ids, that's not
what update-pciids is going to update and it's not what will be used
by lspci. Unless you disable the compression completely at build time.

Is there any reason not use libpci? It's already being used by one of
the addons. AFAIK, the API is the same whether compression is used or
not, but I'm not a programmer. Is it because of the cache and mmap, or
some other reason?

--
Dan