suggested techniques for filtering candidate patches?

Nelson Strother xunilarodef at gmail.com
Wed Jun 20 20:26:54 PDT 2007

  When one is exploring quirks for one's own system, I suspect most
folks would use the selection strategy "first quirk to mostly work
wins".

  When one is ready to offer a patch for distribution, a slightly more
thorough selection strategy may be advisable.  While I have found two
different quirks, each of which seems to make resume from hibernation
functional for a system, I also happened to notice that when either of
these quirks is used, 2 error messages appear in /var/log/gdm/:0.log

  (EE) R128(0): [dri] DRIScreenInit failed.  Disabling DRI.
  (EE) AIGLX: Screen 0 is not DRI capable

When X is started (via boot, not resume from hibernation) DRI appears
to work without error on this same system, i.e. in
/var/log/Xorg.0.log:

  (II) LoadModule: "dri"
  (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/extensions//libdri.so
  (II) Module dri: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
          ABI class: X.Org Server Extension, version 0.3
  (II) Loading extension XFree86-DRI

Should I care?

  Are there other ways one should attempt to select the "best" quirk
when multiple quirks seem to achieve the desired result?  As a
specific example, what are the relative advantages and disadvantages
of vbemode_restore vs.vbestate_restore, when either one works?

  Should I try to find the time to test the other 13 combinations of
possibly relevant quirks?

Cheers,
Nelson