Dell Latitude X1 S3 suspend

Matthias Saou thias at spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.spam.egg.and.spam.freshrpms.net
Wed Jun 6 01:43:11 PDT 2007

Danny Kukawka wrote :

> On Dienstag, 5. Juni 2007, Matthias Saou wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Here is the small change required to get my Dell Latitude X1 laptop to
> > resume properly from S3 on Fedora 7. Without this quirk, the screen
> > stays off. With, it resumes fine. Tested for the last couple of days.
>
> And does this also work from console or only from X?

So, I've tested it again. It works fine from X, and it seems that with
the "intel" driver, the quirk isn't even needed anymore, but it doesn't
harm either, so maybe it's worth leaving it for those still using the
"i810" driver.

As for suspending from console, it's weird :

- Plain console : Suspending works, resuming works, but the backlight
doesn't turn back on. Switching to X works fine and lights it up, but
the console then doesn't show any more text, ever, even though
switching back to it shows the backlight now on. The other solution is
to use the brightness hot keys (Fn+Up or Fn+Down), which lights up the
console without needing to switch to X, but again, no text displayed.

- Framebuffer console (vga=0x317) : Works fine, except that the
backlight doesn't switch on either. Again, brightnesss keys or
switching to X "works around" the problem, but here the console is
still usable after resuming and turning the backlight on.

So I'm quite confused. I've tried plenty of different quirks. Some
freeze the computer at resume, some seem to no nothing. Basically, with
X there is no problem, and with the framebuffer console nearly none,
but with a plain console, no more tty access after a resume unless
typing "blindly" :-/

Matthias

PS: Please CC me as I'm not subscribed to the list.

Fedora release 7 (Moonshine) - Linux kernel 2.6.21-1.3194.fc7
Load : 0.47 0.40 0.34