info.icon in HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Mar 2 07:51:01 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 00:15 +0100, Danny Kukawka wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 1. März 2007, Richard Hughes wrote:
> > Attached patch adds info.icon to the spec. It's expected that all the
> > icon logic be in hal-info, for which another patch is attached.
>
> What have HAL to do with icons? This isn't hardware abstraction! This
> is some kind of desktop policy.
>
> I wounder about this, also because we already marked the icon functions
> HAL provided e.g. in libhal-storage as LIBHAL_DEPRECATED to remove them
> soon - and now we add something similar again?

The problem with these interfaces in libhal-storage was that there was
no standardized names for icons. So there was a bunch of defines and
clients could upload a mapping e.g.

 ICON_MEDIA_FLASH_MMC -> "gnome-icon-media-flash-mmc"
                      -> "kde-icon-media-flash-mmc"

or whatever. That interface sucked, along with other bits so that's why
they were deprecated.

Now that the icon-naming-spec is actually useful, and governed by the
icon-naming-spec team, and have a lot of device names it make sense to
make HAL export these names just like we export lots of other meta data
like whether the drive is Compact Flash, whether something is an MP3
player and if so, where to store data.

      David