Processor name

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Fri Mar 2 11:24:13 PST 2007

On Fri, 2007-03-02 at 01:48 +0000, Richard Hughes wrote:
> With current HAL, my info.product for my processor is the following:
>
> "Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2300  @ 1.66GHz"
>
> This is exposed in gnome-system-monitor and should have the extra
> spaces removed.
>
> Two things:
>
> 1) Is there a simple glib function to remove the double spaces in an
> allocated string?
> 2) Is this available in sysfs somewhere?

Isn't the right answer to let the presentation layer fix up such things?
Do we removing such whitespace anywhere else? I don't think so...
Passing the 48 bytes passed from the CPUID instruction is probably what
we still want to do on x86.. Another point is that we get this stuff
from /proc/acpi, yuck, and g-s-m is already using it so it needs to be
ported over to something in /sys some day...

     David