info.icon in HAL

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Tue Mar 6 09:35:57 PST 2007

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 17:33 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 11:11 -0500, Rodney Dawes wrote:
> > On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 10:32 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> > > Hmm, maybe we should move the top-level info.product and info.icon, to
> > > something like
> > >   info.representation.long_name
> > >   info.representation.short_name
> > >   info.representation.icon

So I have some issues with this

 1) I can't think of any useful use for long_name, short_name

 2) There are localization issues; if we go down this slippery slope
    we need to have the description in e.g. en_US, en_GB, de_DE, de_CH
    and so forth.

 3) info.product / info.vendor are right now hacks that UI shouldn't
    use. They're useful for crap like hal-device-manager. We should
    probably mark them as crap in the spec too.

 4) Instead, we already expose enough information for the UI bits to be
    smart about this. They need to look at info.capabilities and then
    the name-spaced properties. So for e.g. portable_music_player, to
    get the name look at portable_music_player.originating_device and
    from there get the usb.vendor and usb.product if info.subsystem=usb.

So I think info.icon_name is just fine. Thoughts?

      David