sysfs stuff (Re: hopluggable detection broken since apparently 2.6.20)

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Wed Mar 7 09:58:02 PST 2007

On Wed, 2007-03-07 at 12:39 +0100, Kay Sievers wrote:
> We don't want to put a bus-device as a child of a class-device. It was
> possible with the old complex coldplug, but that can't work with the new
> dumb coldplug, where class-devices are not around when we process the
> bus-devices.

Right.

> > > I'll look into this/fix it
> > > tomorrow.
> >
> > Awesome, thanks.
>
> Here is a fix, that synthesizes the needed scsi_host-event and just
> ignores the crappy class-device. This should also work when udev may be
> used to do the coldplug, which can't work with the
> class-device-as-a-parent magic.

Works for me thanks. Even seems to handle future cases when the kernel
is fixed to make scsi_host a real device rooted in /sys/devices. Only
one problem is that a scsi_host only shows up if devices are attached to
it but a) this will get fixed once the kernel is fixed; and b) it's not
a big problem.

So please commit! Thanks!

     David