[Pm-utils] Re: Resume via quirks, not using the DBUS method, Was: Release Candidates ?

Michael Biebl mbiebl at gmail.com
Fri Mar 9 10:02:25 PST 2007

2007/3/9, Frederic Crozat <fcrozat at mandriva.com>:
> Le vendredi 09 mars 2007 à 16:45 +0100, Stefan Seyfried a écrit :
> > On Tue, Mar 06, 2007 at 12:01:03PM -0500, Peter Jones wrote:
> >
> > > I find myself wondering if /etc/pm/config shouldn't really
> > > be /usr/lib/pm-utils/config , actually.  That would make /etc/pm
> > > entirely the domain of the admin (and any ISV software he adds)
> >
> > Yes, so we'd first source /usr/lib/pm-utils/config, then /etc/pm/config.
> > So the distro can put good defaults into /usr/lib/pm-utils/config which
> > the user/admin can overwrite in /etc/pm/config. Sounds good.
> > I'd still keep the /usr/lib/pm-utils/config well commented, so the admin
> > can use it as a template for his own verion in /etc/pm/config.
> >
> > > I'd say the distros should be using /usr/lib/pm-utils/*/ instead,
> > > though.  If you think about it, they're basically acting as a proxy for
> > > us at fd.o.  Which is to say, in some respect we're sharing one task
> > > with them, whereas a 3rd party package vendor (such as freshrpms, for
> > > example) is really doing things on behalf of the admin, rather than as a
> > > vendor.
>
> Using /usr/lib/pm-utils/ for all hooks is wrong since those hooks are
> scripts. They should be in /usr/share/pm-utils/
>
> BTW, pm-utils SVN is clearly not lib64 compliant (where libdir
> is /usr/lib64).
>
> We tried to fixed it in our package, see patches at :

As long as the files are non-executable, your statement is correct.
IIRC /usr/share must be mountable noexec and ro, so only data files
must be placed there.

Yet, I'd prefer it anyway, if we wouldn't use the x-bit hack to
determine if a file should be sourced or not. So, /usr/(lib, or better
share)/pm-utils/defaults,functions,power.d/*,sleep.d(or better
functions.d)/* should all be read-only.
If a file is sourced or not is determined if there is a link to the
corresponding directory in /etc/pm/.

Just my 2cents,
Michael