s2both

Richard Hughes hughsient at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 13:57:23 PDT 2007

On Sun, 2007-03-11 at 11:22 +0100, Holger Macht wrote:

>   power_management.can_hibernate = true  (bool)
>   power_management.can_suspend = true  (bool)
>
> These values are just a reflexion of what the kernel thinks, namely
> /sys/power/state. Another key like
>
>   power_management.can_suspend_to_both = true  (bool)

Hmm. Suspend to both means something to me, but if we are going to
express this in the UI we need a better name in my opinion.

If it's in the UI and in common use in the tools, the name in hal should
probably reflect this.

If I understand correctly, s2both is basically a hibernate that is woken
up like normal quickly, or if the battery fails then it's like a normal
resume from hibernate.

Is the "suspending" a similar time to hibernate or suspend?
Is the "resuming" a similar time to hibernate or suspend?

If it is what I think it is, maybe something like "safe suspend" might
be okay, although "quick hibernate" might also be suitable.

Richard.