s2both

Frank Seidel fseidel at suse.de
Mon Mar 12 09:45:42 PDT 2007

On Monday 12 March 2007 17:08:53 William Jon McCann wrote:
> Hi Rob,
>
> On 3/12/07, Rob Taylor <rob.taylor at codethink.co.uk> wrote:
> > In terms of the UI, wouldn't it make sense to always do s2both for
> > hibernate if its available?
>
> I agree, that sounds good to me.  I think the concept that (as a
> user) I should be required to predict how long I'm going to be away
> from my computer is pretty broken.  I want to close my laptop, have
> it save my state, and come back at some unknown point in the future
> and get back to it.  So I'll argue that even two options is pretty
> bad nevermind three.
For many users this might be correct, but this is IMHO policy that
should get decided by the UI-client (like g-p-m oder kpowersave) and
not by hal.

But generally speaking having some smart intelligence about this would
surely be fine for quite some people.
E.g. below 15% batterylevel "smartsuspend" will always do true
hibernate, if ac is online and battery is full "smartsuspend" could
trigger a suspend2both.. etc.

Have fun,
Frank