s2both

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Mar 12 13:02:49 PDT 2007

On Montag, 12. März 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> Now, there's a bug in HAL already in how we compute the .can_suspend
> and .can_hibernate values. For example, here on Fedora, HAL says that my
> system can hibernate just fine but that's a LIE since at least on Fedora
> this doesn't work when using a swap file instead of a swap partition. I
> think this works on other distros though.

No, this is not a lie since the property only say the kernel provide the
capability to e.g. suspend to disk/ram and not that you are really able
to suspend. See the spec:

	If suspend support is compiled into the kernel.
        NB. This may not mean the machine is able to suspend
        successfully.

> As to presenting these options in the UI, I'll add my two cents and say
> it's a useless option to present to the casual user - just always use
> hybrid sleep if available (am not terribly interested in discussing the
> UI on these lists either - I think the g-p-m and kpowersave guys can
> figure this out themselves).

IMO there are users which want to have the chance to say they want to use
suspend2both or not or depending on the battery level in the UI. And
because of this the userspace maybe implement this in some way.

Danny