[Pm-utils] Re: s2both

Tomasz Torcz zdzichu at irc.pl
Mon Mar 12 13:11:36 PDT 2007

On Mon, Mar 12, 2007 at 03:53:19PM -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 08:52 +0100, Stefan Seyfried wrote:
> > Do not even think about s2both in upstream pm-utils, since there is apparently
> > no interest in including userspace-suspend support (at least my patches get
> > silently dropped all the time) at all.
>
> Why is that? Who is not interested in doing hybrid sleep?

  I'm not. When I suspend-to-ram I'm doing it mainly because it's way
faster than suspend-to-disk, only few seconds compared to almost two
minutes. I doing it when I don't have time to wait for STD. And resume
from STR fails more often than from STD.
  On the other hand, I'm doing suspend to disk when I don't want my
battery depleted during night or longer trip.
  Hybrid sleep would actually carry mainly disadvantages of both: long
suspending time, non-reliable wakeup, battery depletion.

--
Tomasz Torcz                Only gods can safely risk perfection,
zdzichu at irc.-nie.spam-.pl     it's a dangerous thing for a man.  -- Alia