s2both

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 12 13:31:23 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 21:22 +0100, Holger Macht wrote:
> > This is really just a third sleep mechanism so what I think we need is
> >
> >  - a new method on HAL called SuspendHybrid() - this is on the same
> >    interface as Suspend() and Hibernate()
> >
> >  - a new property on HAL called
> >
> >      power_management.can_suspend_hybrid
> >
> >    to go with .can_suspend and .can_hibernate
>
> That's what I was proposing. So you agree that pm-utils will install
> fdi(s) which tell HAL what it supports and which adds the corresponding
> HAL methods?

I think it's easier if we just patch HAL to call pm-utils to get these,
via a utility provided by pm-utils e.g. the mythical pm-is-supported
utility I talked about. I don't want pm-utils to rely on HAL, nor do I
want it to install plug-in / fdi files in HAL.

This is similar that HAL's Suspend() method calls pm-suspend directly
too. Does this work for you?

     David