s2both

Danny Kukawka danny.kukawka at web.de
Mon Mar 12 13:42:49 PDT 2007

On Montag, 12. März 2007, David Zeuthen wrote:
> I know perfectly fine what HAL reports. The thing is, applications today
> rely on the .can_hibernate method to actually do something useful like
> presenting the user with an option to use Hibernate.

Do they? KPowersave for example depend on *.can_* property == TRUE &&
org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.SystemPowerManagement.method_names contain the
needed entry and if policykit is there also additionaly on the needed
Privilege.

Maybe we need a new key for the info that the underlaying tools really
allow (e.g. if s2ram know that the machine is suspendable).

> This is one of the occasions where such a change in the semantics is
> justified. It's not like it's going to break things. Do you disagree?

No. But maybe it make more sence to have a methode to get the info
if needed always actual (what if a hook get installed to pm-utils and
the machine can/can't suspend now or the swap partition get enabled/
disabled) and not as a static information via a property
which already represent a static info.

Danny