s2both

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Mon Mar 12 15:10:02 PDT 2007

On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 17:37 -0400, Peter Jones wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-12 at 15:52 -0400, David Zeuthen wrote:
>
> > Peter, is this something you can look at / comment on?
>
> Well, for this to work, we need the kernel to write out the data to the
> swap file without powering the machine off.  This may be something we
> can make the "test" support in /sys/power/disk, but that's really not
> optimal, because a) it would actually mean putting all the devices to
> sleep, waking them back up, and putting them to sleep again, and b)
> there's a 5 second wait in the middle.

That's a cryptic answer but, then again, I wasn't really clear with my
questions. I'll try again:

 1. Can we get a pm-is-supported function?

 2. Can you add pm-suspend-hybrid as a command and just stub it out for
    now as well as make "pm-is-supported --suspend-hybrid" return FALSE.
    Then vendors with s2both etc. can patch things in until this goes
    into pm-utils mainline.

    The important thing is to get the interface right - we can worry
    about implementation details at a later date.

 3. When do you expect a release to happen? The lack of pm-utils
    releases is holding up the release of HAL 0.5.9 and frankly it's
    not making me (nor others) happy.

Thanks.

     David