names controllers for joysticks, midi-keyboards, etc.

Stefan Kost ensonic at hora-obscura.de
Wed Mar 14 13:03:41 PDT 2007

hi,

I am new to hal, but it rocks so far. I have 0.5.8_git20061106 installed. In my
application I'd like to interactivly controll sticks by real hardware. On my
desk I have a joystick (3 axis (1 free), 4 buttons) and a small USB midi
keyboard with additional knobs and sliders. Both devices get recognizes and get
a name. What I now look for is to enumerate teh controller the device proviced.
For each controller I'd like to get name and type (trigger, continous, ...). Now
I found those fdi files and it seems that one could put this info there (and
share those files among users). Is this how its supposed to work? Is there any
naming schme for this already?

Stefan