mobile phone (obex) support in hal

Alex Kanavin ak at
Sun Mar 25 08:03:06 PDT 2007

2007/3/25, David Zeuthen <david at>:
> Sorry, I didn't read the bug properly. Your patch is in. Thanks.

Excellent! The next thing I would like to do is to add support for usb
obex interfaces to HAL. They're typically provided by modern mobile
phones and there are many things you can do over them: access the
phones' filesystem (for example to get/put music and photos),
synchronize calendar/contacts/notes, install software, and do other
kinds of device management.

The calendar/contact/notes functionality should be handled by opensync
package with its various frontends, and the filesystem can be mounted
with the help of fuse obexfs package,
like this:

sudo mount -t fuse "fuse/obexfs#-u 1" -o allow_other /media/phone/

So I'd like HAL to take care of all this. I guess there should be a
device information file (obex interfaces have their own usb
class/subclass defined), and gnome-volume-manager and gnome-mount
should be extended to support obexfs mounting and opensync launching.
But I'm not sure how to proceed. Any hints would be very much welcome.