0.5.9rc2

Dan Nicholson dbn.lists at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 14:15:25 PDT 2007

On 3/26/07, David Zeuthen <david at fubar.dk> wrote:
> On Mon, 2007-03-26 at 13:38 -0700, Dan Nicholson wrote:
> >
> > Not to get sidetracked from the 0.5.9 release, but what ever happened
> > with the GNOME app you were writing to use this? I recall some nice
> > looking screenshots
>
> That would be
>
>         http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-2.png
>         http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-3.png
>         http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-4.png
>         http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-5.png
>         http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/gdu-6.png

Yep. Very nice.

> Actually, that utility, GNOME disk utility, was supposed to use methods
> on HAL to be able to run unprivileged, work with accessibility and the
> full shebang. You just can't do that with linking in libparted. It's
> right now nothing more than a nice looking shell is there so I haven't
> even bothered to put the code in git or SVN. It should be easy to add
> the missing methods in HAL; the bulk of the work is done in HAL's
> partutil library (which uses libparted) that Richard mentions.

Yeah, I was looking at partutil in the hal code and couldn't figure
out where it was being used.

> The thinking is that, using said library, it's no more than 500-100 LOC
> of to build a shell like the one you can see in the GNOME Disk Utility
> screenshots. Here's some teaser screenshots of the GNOME Device Manager
>
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/device-manager-1.png
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/device-manager-2.png
>  http://people.freedesktop.org/~david/device-manager-3.png

Wow, that looks really cool.

> But more on that later.. along with a ceremonial commit (that will be
> televised!) that removes hal-device-manager and all of it's GTK+ and
> Python dependencies from the HAL tree. I've been wanting to do that for
> years.

Huzzah! I haven't built that in a long time due to all the overhead of
building gnome-python. Way too much pain for only a minor reward.

Keep up the good work, fellas.

--
Dan