How to map keys which emit keycodes ?

Rohan Dhruva rohandhruva at gmail.com
Wed Nov 14 07:40:29 PST 2007

Hi everyone,

I'm using fedora 8. I had submitted the xml patch for my keyboard -
Acer TravelMate 3260.
http://gitweb.freedesktop.org/?p=hal-info.git;a=blob;f=fdi/information/10freedesktop/30-keymap-acer.fdi#l151

Now in my keyboard there is a strange oddity - the Fn + Right
(brightness increase) arrow emits a atkbd.c dmesg error, which is
handled by hal-info. However, the Fn + Left (brightness decrease) key
does not give any atkbd.c error, but rather maps in to a keycode
properly - 239 (as shown by xev).
Now the problem is, since brightness up key is already mapped, I get
an on screen indicator whenever I increase the brightness. Just for
curiosity and perfection sake (hehe ;) ) I want a similar indicator
when I press the brightness down key combo too. Is there some way to
map those keys in HAL which emit keycodes, too (but not keysyms) ?

Here's the output of xev when I press brightness up : (hal is in
action so I get OSD)
 keycode 212 (keysym 0x0, NoSymbol)

And here's when I press brightness down key: (no OSD since this key is
not mapped in hal)
 keycode 239 (keysym 0x1008ff06, NoSymbol)

I don't know which keysym causes the OSD to display !

Thanks,
--
Rohan Dhruva